Cloudy · 73°

Driver's License


Driving Tests administered by appointment only. Please call 641-322-3210 to set up an appointment.

Renew your license 30 days before or 60 days after your birthday. If your license has been expired for over one year, full testing (computer and skills) are required.

General Hours & Appointments

Driver's license services are available Monday through Friday. from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

  • Written Tests are administered Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    • You must arrive no later than 3:30 p.m. to ensure time to complete the test and be issued a credential
  • Skills Driving Test are given by appointment only on Tuesday mornings
    • Skills tests can be scheduled after passing the computer knowledge exam
    • No motorcycles or CDL skills testing in Adams County.  You may contact a state DOT station to find a motorcycle or CDL testing location.

Please call 641-322-3210 to book an appointment


Permit Test Requirements

  • Birth certificate
    • Certified state copy of the birth certificate (the hospital birth certificate with baby footprints will not be sufficient)
  • Social security card
  • A parent must be present at the appointment or this Parent Consent Form (Iowa DOT Form 430018) must be completed prior to the appointment

School Permit Requirements

  • Completed and passed Driver's Education
  • 6 months of having a permit with no accidents or citations
  • Completed Affidavit for Minor School License (Iowa DOT Form 430021)


Renewals are $4 per year for basic renewals. Motorcycle endorsements are an additional $2 per year.

  • Renewal Requirements
    • 8-year renewals | 18 to 72-year-olds
    • 7-year renewals | 73-year-olds
    • 6-year renewals | 74-year-olds
    • 5-year renewals | 75-year-olds
    • 4-year renewals | 76-year-olds
    • 3-year renewals | 77-year-olds
    • 2-year renewals | 78-year-olds and older

Payment Options

  • Cash
  • Check made out to Treasurer, State of Iowa
  • Debit/credit cards for an additional $1.50


Duplicates cost $10.

Identification Cards

  • In Iowa, you can have an ID card or a driver's license; you are not allowed to have both. 
  • Iowa non-operator’s ID cards will be issued with an expiration date of eight years.

Commercial Drivers Licence (CDL)

CDLs are $8 per year. If you have the hazmat endorsement, testing is required at renewal time. Every five years, fingerprints and background checks are required as well. More information can be found on the Iowa DOT website.

If you have a CDL you must certify if you are interstate or intrastate. Intrastate includes using your CDL only within the state of Iowa while interstate is using your CDL while outside of the state of Iowa. If you certify as non-excepted interstate you will need the following:

Failure to comply with the required timeline will result in a downgrade of your CDL. 

See the diagram below for more information on interstate vs intrastate.

Commercial Driver's License Chart
Click on the image to view a PDF version

Reminder! CDL holders must bring in their birth certificate, passport or INS document to renew if they don’t have a Real ID. 

REAL ID Requirements

  • Deadline: May 2025
  • Typical documents needed (you will need all three):
    • Identity
      • Birth certificate or valid passport
    • Social security
      • Card or 1099/W-2 with full number listed on document
    • Residency
      • Two pieces of mail
    • You may also need proof of legal name change, if applicable
      • If your legal name has changed, you will need to bring in your certified legal name change documents (i.e. certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.).
    • To change your existing license to the Real ID license it is $10 if not at renewal time.

Iowa DOT REAL ID Info    View REAL ID flyer

Address Change

In-state address changes cost $10 and can be done through a verbal address update. If from out of state, please visit the Iowa DOT website for more information.

New to Iowa?

Learn how to get an Iowa driver's license.

  • You will need to bring:
    • Proof of identity (passport, birth certificate, INS documents)
    • Proof of social security (social security card, anything listing your full social security number or social security number affidavit for driver's license or identification card services
    • Proof of residency x 2 (2 pieces of mail)
    • If your legal name has changed, you will need to bring in your certified legal name change documents (i.e. certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.)

For additional forms, please check out the online forms. 

View More Forms

Back · Adams County Treasurer