Recorder’s across the state have access to these records:
- Births 1986-Present
- Death 1954-Present
- Marriage 1954-Present
Effective July 1, 2019, vital records fees will be $15.00.
- County vital records are regulated by the Iowa Department of Public Health by state laws and administrative rules.
- Certified copies may be obtained by mail or in person only if the application is completely filled out and notarized. You also need to include a copy of your government photo ID and proof of entitlement to the record requested. Our office accepts checks or money orders through the mail.
Adams County birth records are available between the years of 1880 through 1920. Birth records between the years of 1921 to 1941 are situational and may not be available. Please call our office first to verify information on the records for these years. Our records start again in 1942 to the present.
Prior to 1986, single-parent births, adoptions, delayed registrations, legal changes of name, and any record ordered sealed by a court of law are only available at the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Death records are available between the years 1880 through 1920. We do not have death records between the years of 1921 to 1941. Our records start again in 1942 to the present.
Marriage records are available for years 1855 to the present.
Certified Copies of Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates
Certified copies are available to only those with entitlement. (i.e. person named on record (18 or older), mother or father (if named on record), spouse, brother or sister (if 18 or older), maternal grandparents and paternal grandparents (if father is named on record), children of legal age or legal representatives with entitlement of proof of blood relation or representation may be required.
To receive a certified copy of an Adams County Vital Record:
- Complete Application for Certified Copy form which is required to be signed in front of a notary public; and
- Provide copy of a current Driver’s License or other current government photo ID; and
- Submit $15.00 check or money order to:
Adams County Recorder
500 Ninth Street
Corning, Iowa 50841