Clear · 77°

County Attorney Payment Plans

The Adams County Attorney's Office offers payment plans to assist you in payment of delinquent fines.

Participation in a payment plan with the County Attorney's Office may allow you to obtain your driver's license back, register your vehicles, and/or renew your license plates.

For Tags/Registration, you will need a letter from our office, as long as you owe the State of Iowa money. You must be current on your payments for us to issue this letter. 

If your driver’s license is suspended, we will check with the DOT to see what is holding your license. If you owe any civil penalties, you may have to make payments to the Department of Transportation (DOT).

All unpaid/delinquent fines must be at least thirty-one (31) days past due and over $200 to qualify for a CAPP (license reinstatement) payment plan.

The County Attorney’s Office does not accept cash payments. Cash payments must be made in person at the Clerk of Court’s Office.  When making your payment, please advise the Clerk that you are making a payment on a County Attorney Payment Plan.  Also, to make certain a payment made by check or money order is credited toward your plan, you must include a case number on the memo line. Failing to do so can cause your payment to be credited to another county making your pay plan appear delinquent.

To participate in a County Attorney Payment Plan (CAPP), you have to come to the office to fill paperwork out for payment Plan.
500 Ninth Street
Corning, IA 50941

You will not be eligible for the license reinstatement program if any of the following criteria apply:

  • If your license is suspended for non-payment of child support
  • If your license is suspended for out-of-state tickets
  • If you have failed to complete a substance abuse evaluation (if required by the DOT)
  • If you have failed to obtain an Ignition Interlock device (if required by the DOT)
  • If you have failed to complete the Drinking and Driving Class (if required by the DOT)

About fourteen days after you sign the plan(s) and it is approved, you should be able to get your driver’s license. Upon approval, you would be eligible to renew your vehicle registration with a letter from our office.

You will make all of your payments to the Clerk of Court (in person, online, or via mail).

If you have any DOT Civil penalties due to a charge of (1) operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or (2) failing to obtain/maintain financial liability coverage (auto insurance), you may need to pay that civil penalty directly to the DOT.

Make Payment Online

How can we help you?

We can combine delinquent court debt that has been assigned to us into one payment plan per county. 

Driver's License Reinstatement Program (CAPP)

DOT Civil Penalties:
Can be included as part of a CAPP agreement.

Out of County Fines: Fines from other counties may be included in a CAPP with the other counties permission. However, the other county/counties can refuse and require the individual to set up a separate payment arrangement with them.

Drinking Drivers and Substance Abuse:
If ordered by the Court, an individual may need to attend and complete Drinking Driver's School and/or Substance Abuse Treatment and Evaluation. After completion of these courses, a certificate of completion must be filed with the Clerk of Court. It is the individual's responsibility to see that the certificate is filed. Driver's License

To locate a Drinking Driver's School and/or Substance Abuse Treatment and Evaluation class in Iowa.

Facility Locator

All CAPP participants must maintain standard liability insurance within 30 days of entering the program. 

License Prevention

Other issues besides suspensions for unpaid fines may prevent you from getting your license and there can be holds on your license that run for specific periods of time.  Nothing will end them early, However, 

  • Even if you are barred or revoked, a CAPP may still be helpful for those who need a Temporary Restricted License (TRL) for work, school, child care, health care or other reasons.   
  • Applicants are advised to check with the DOT regarding their eligibility for a TRL. Entering a CAPP does NOT guarantee issuance of a TRL.

Vehicle Registration Holds & Lifts

If you have any outstanding fines payable to the court, there will be a hold on your ability to register a motor vehicle in Iowa. This includes all criminal and driving-related fines. The hold will remain in place until all fines are paid in full.

  • If you are in a current pay plan with the County Attorney we can grant a temporary lift of the hold to allow you to register your vehicle and current payments.
  • If you are not on a payment plan, we can lift the hold after you sign up for a payment plan and make the first payment.

For assistance with any of these issues please email Lisa or Kandi, or call at 641-322-4008.

Back · Adams County Attorney