The Adams County Board of Supervisors met on Monday, April 12, 2021 at 9:00 am with the following members present: Bobbi Maynes, Leland Shipley, Doug Birt, Merlin Dixon, and Scott Akin. The meeting was called to order by Chairperson Maynes. Akin moved, seconded by Birt to approve today’s agenda along with the minutes from April 5, 2021. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
Treasurer Nancy Barnes reminded the board her office will be closed for training on Thursday, April 15th for training.
Birt moved, seconded by Shipley to approve Secondary Roads Dump Truck bid from Truck Center Companies of $121,473 for a 2021 Western Star. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
Akin moved, seconded by Dixon to approve Resolution 2021-10 Amending the Adams County Entrance Policy.
Adams County Entrance Policy Amended 4-12-2021
- The County Engineer will require a permit per entrance for each new or widened entrance to the Secondary Road System.
Location of the entrance will be at the owner’s request if the sight distance (per AASHTO’s Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets) and other related factors are approved by the Engineer
2. Slope from the edge of entrance to the ditch flow line will be as follows:
Paved Road — Dry Fill or culvert 6H:1V
Gravel Road — Dry Fill or culvert 3H:1V
The minimum width of entrances is 20 feet Adams County will designate the minimum length and diameter of the pipe to achieve efficient drainage and width of entrance. No entrance pipe shall be less than 18 inches in diameter unless specified by the Engineer.
3). The owner shall have the entrance, or extension installed by private contractors or with their own equipment. All work performed will be subject to the approval of the County Engineer or their designated representative.
4) Costs of all new installation(s) extension(s) and maintenance will be borne by the property owner. The County will maintain stockpiles of new pipe for purchase, with a minimum length to purchase of 10 feet.
5) All culverts placed in entrances shall be of new materials. Culverts shall be of annular, corrugated, riveted construction or reinforced concrete pipe. Plastic pipe is not acceptable. Pipe shall meet Iowa DOT’s standards for wall thickness.
6) Extensions to existing entrances will only be allowed when the existing culvert is in good condition.
7) Adams County will not provide or restore any type of surfacing on entrances. Driveway surfacing, such as granular surfacing or pavement, shall be the responsibility of the adjacent land owner.
8)Approximately midway between the Right of Way line (ROW} and the edge of the road the elevation of the entrance shall be at least 6 inches (6″} lower than that of the edge of the road. Adams County maintenance personnel are allowed to maintain an entrance in order to prevent water from damaging the roadway surface.
9) During construction and/or installation, all necessary and proper barricade, signage, etc., as per the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, shall be maintained at all times to protect workers, property owners, and the traveling public from accidents due to operation of the applicant. The applicant will be required to furnish any dirt necessary for the construction of driveways and field entrances. Any materials from inside the ROW shall be with the approval of the County Engineer or their designee.
10) Upon completion and notification by applicant or installer the County Engineer or their designee will certify the work to be in compliance. When the work is found to be non-compliant with this policy, a written notice will be issued. The applicant will have 30 calendar days from receipt of notice to bring the entrance into compliance.
11) The County Engineer or their designated representative is hereby named the permit officer to administer the terms of this policy. Administrative decisions of pipe size and length, sight distance and other safety factors will be final. Other appeals of administrative decisions may be appealed to the Board of Supervisors in writing at any time or orally at a regularly scheduled Board meeting. Board decisions shall be entered into the minutes.
12) Adams County shall be indemnified and saved harmless from any changes resulting from the applicant’s operations.
13) This policy voids and takes precedence over any previous entrance policies in Adams County.
WHEREAS, The Adams County Entrance Policy, dated April, 12th, 2021, establishes the requirements for design and construction of driveways and driveway extensions within Adams County,
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the Adams County Entrance Policy is amended and adopted by the Adams County Board of Supervisors at Corning, Iowa on the 12th day of April 2021. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
Dixon moved, seconded by Shipley to set a salary of $6,680 to be paid monthly to the Weed Commissioner. The board will expect a report of activities at the end of June and September along with the annual Report that is due by November 1 each year for the state. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
Shipley moved, seconded by Dixon to appoint Larry Maeder as the Weed Commissioner effective today. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
The Medical Examiner Investigator Lisa Brown asked the board to pay for half of the schooling for the Assistant Investigator to become licensed. The board asked if the amount needed was in the ME budget and Lisa replied it was.
Birt moved, seconded by Akin to approve the claims as follows:
|Adams Co Amb||Cont||4,166.66||1|
|Adamson,Sarah||Employee Mile & Subs.||50.00||1|
|Adamson,Sarah||Phone & Fax Service||35.00||1|
|Ahlers & Cooney, P.C.||Admin Costs||1,250.00||1|
|Audiological Serv||School or mtg exp||21.00||1|
|Brandt,Bry||Township Clerk Fee||20.00||1|
|Central IA Distrib Inc||Sup||6,521.20||1|
|Central IA Ready Mix||repair||3,161.00||1|
|Charles Mix Co.||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||82.00||1|
|Ciox Health||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||52.43||1|
|First Wireless Inc.||sup||947.69||1|
|First Wireless Inc.||Machine & Equip Pur||134.21||1|
|FleetSide Ford||Motor Vehicle||41,895.00||1|
|FMTC||Phone & Fax Service||2,557.84||1|
|Garden & Associates||outside engineering||1,912.00||1|
|Greater Reg Med||Dr and/or Hosp. Care||151.20||1|
|IA Co Attnys Assn||Dues & Memberships||277.00||1|
|ISACA Treasurer||Reg fees/Meet/Sc||125.00||1|
|Jackson Repair||Veh.Equip & Repairs||128.00||1|
|Northland Prod Co||repair||2,511.94||1|
|Omaha Truck Center||repair||716.14||1|
|Page Co. Sheriff||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||74.80||1|
|Parker Reporting, LTD||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||113.60||1|
|Polk Co. Sheriff||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||52.40||1|
|Poor Boyz LLC||Sanitation Disp||593.75||1|
|Pott Co. Sheriff||Legal & Ct-Rel Serv.||70.00||1|
|Ramsey’s Market||Custodial Sup||35.99||1|
|Roberts,Michelle||School or mtg exp||29.00||1|
|Robinson Implement||Fuel, Tires, & Lub||353.52||1|
|Robinson,Jared||Town Trustee Fee||15.00||1|
|SEAT||School or mtg exp||20.00||2|
|SW IA Appliance||Repair||198.39||1|
|Treasurer, IA||Oth Svcs-taxes collec||7,542.00||1|
|U of O Emergency||Reg fees/Meet/Sc||150.00||1|
|U.S. Bank||Fuel, Tires, & Lub||114.52||1|
|U.S. Bank||Office Sup/Exp||83.17||1|
|U.S. Bank||School or mtg exp||350.00||1|
|U.S. Bank||Phone & Fax Service||203.37||1|
|U.S. Bank Equip||Maintenance Agree||63.15||1|
|United Farmer Coop||fuel||8,429.31||1|
|United Farmer Coop||Fuel, Tires, & Lub||3,562.54||2|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||sup||178.21||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Cust Sup||12.78||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Elect Supp.& Parts||21.98||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Fert, seed and plan||23.45||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Hardware||73.12||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Office Sup/Exp||25.28||1|
|Vogel & Thomas Hard||Safety & Protect.Sup||22.28||1|
|Williams,Chad||Elect Supp.& Parts||17.99||1|
|Williams,Chad||Phone & Fax Service||60.00||1|
|Williams,Chad||App & Uniform||414.60||1|
Committee and Meeting reports for presented as follows: Birt – Conservation, April 8; Corning.
Dixon moved, seconded by Akin to adjourn the meeting at 11:00 am. All supervisors voted aye. Motion carried.
ATTEST: Bobbi Maynes, Chairperson, Adams County Board of Supervisors
Rebecca Bissell, Adams County Auditor